December 12, 2003

Ryan Air Destinations

Category: Aviation

London: Although Ryanair is great for getting to obscure places from London for very, very cheap, one must never forget that they are incredibly misleading about exactly where they fly. To the seasoned traveler, this is seldom a problem, but to the less experienced voyager, it can be a major rip-off.

Case in point: Ryanair claims to fly to Barcelona. This is utter bollocks, as they actually fly to Reus and Girona, both of which are at least 90 minutes from anywhere in the central city. Yet they insist on advertising both destinations as Barcelona. This is the case with most of the major city destinations Ryanair claims to serve (Bergamo, Hahn, Torp, Beuvais.)

I had an impassioned 20 minute conversation with a guy last night here in Barcelona who was very excited about his trip to London the next day, desperately trying to convince him that his Ryanair flight could not possibly leave from BCN, and that he had better double check. Nope, he was convinced and refused to believe me. The poor bastard is probably sitting at the airport hitting himself right now. Not my problem, but Ryanair's deception still ranks up there as one of the more obnoxious tricks in aviation. Bah.

Posted by Nick at December 12, 2003 9:54 AM

Comments:

Totally agree. Ryanair has many catches but you forgot to mention this one: RyanAir runs the transport from these obscure airports into the major city nearby at rates often higher then the origional airline ticket. Example: flight to Lubeck (where the hell is Lubeck?) 5 euro. "RyanAir Express Shuttle" ride into Hamburg from Lubeck 10 euro. Furthermore, these bus rides can take a long time. Example: Lubeck (its on the Baltic Sea) to Hamburg: 1 hour 15 mins; wherever the hell I flew into to Milan: 50 mins. So you could take RyanAir for super cheap, but take nearly the entire day getting there (1 hour bus to airport, 2 hour flight, 1 1/2 hour bus home, plus 2 hours for delays etc = 7 hours), or pay the higher price for a major carrier at the cities airport that is served by the cities metro system. Conclusion: what is the value of time and convenience??

RyanAir usually isnt worth it...

Posted by: John at December 15, 2003 10:51 PM

Lubeck is actually quite a nice place to go for the weekend (at least, it is when the weather is a bit warmer). It was once the capital of the Hanseatic League, and is one of those old Baltic port cities full of canals. And the bus fair from the airport to the centre of Lubeck is 1 euro or similar.

The trick with Ryanair is to figure out whether the actual place they fly to is worth visiting. Sometimes it is.

Posted by: Michael Jennings at December 17, 2003 10:11 PM

I totally agree with Michael and I think you're being a bit unfair on Ryanair. For example, if they advertised Girona, people wouldn't know where that is. What I've noticed they've started to do is to state a main city and in brackets the airfield they are flying to - Barcelona (Girona) or something like that.
But I welcome Ryanair and Easyjet breaking down the hub system and flying to more far flung places - its proved immensely useful and pleasurable to me where I'm often not heading for the main city. I recently flew to southern spain (Jerez) for £3+tax. You can't reach North Africa much cheaper than that from the UK.
Sure, you do need to research a bit with the budget airlines, and they should perhaps make it clearer, but they offer a fantastic service to me and all my friends.

Posted by: tom at December 28, 2003 11:22 PM

Bitch, Bitch, Bitch, just read the fine print and you can get where you want to go cheap.

Posted by: Dave at February 7, 2004 12:48 PM

I'm trying to get rid of my boss for a week, ans this is the way to go. have fun BOSS!!!!

Posted by: Fabian at February 10, 2004 7:21 AM

I think you are right about the Barcelona (Girona) comment. Girona is a lovely city. However, after RyanAir put my boyfriend and I into the wrong line, we missed our first flight to Girona, had to pay a second fare, and then had to rent a car to get to Barcelona. Yes, we could of taken the bus, but then we would have had to find accomodations at a very late hour. A word to the wise- always double check to see if you are in the right line, even if an agent from the airline has put you in that line! If you do miss your flight, RyanAir really will not care and will definately not compensate you for their mistake! I would have to say the only pleasant experience I had with RyanAir was the fact that they sent us to the beautiful city of Girona, but when all was said and done, it was not cheap. Next time, I'll stick with EasyJet.

Posted by: Amy at February 13, 2004 8:16 PM

I would like to know if you have any special offers for July/August to Kenya

Posted by: nishi datta at February 19, 2004 1:06 PM

Yes, of cause, it is important to check where the airport is. However, the airports Ryanair use are always very small so you can easily save 30mins or more in physically getting out of the airport. Also the bus service they offer, certainly in Verona is very efficient and reasonably priced. Personally I think it is wonderful (if not environmentally very sound) what they have done in opening up new destinations at VERY reasonable prices. anyone join me for fresh oysters in Cork :-)

Posted by: Geoff at February 26, 2004 4:13 PM

Please can you help, i want to travel to caen, France from Stansted or Gatwick, Stansted is my nearest. Can you tell me the best way to travel there and cheapest. i want to travel in may

Posted by: K. Fitch at February 27, 2004 4:11 PM

Pleace can you help, I want to travel from Tirstrup, Denmark to North Portugal

Posted by: Erik Pedersen at March 8, 2004 3:22 PM

Unfortunately we can say things about Ryan Air but the sad thing is we don't have an alternative. Airlines companies who are out there, please challeng Ryan Air and help us commute better!

Posted by: Leon at March 18, 2004 2:18 PM

We flew to Pau in France with Ryan Air this Feb. The flight was fine and Pau is a delightful modern airport. Easy access from here to Spanish Pyrenees for brilliant ski-ing. Most people were flying to Barcelona which is a good 3 hr + drive. We had a straight run of 1 hour and stunning scenery on route.

Will go Ryan Air again. Stop moaning and read all the info before you leave. These small airports are usually small, friendly and much less crowded than the main ones.

Jools

Posted by: Jools at March 24, 2004 9:53 AM

I am a veteran of World War II (the Pacific ) and I have never been to Europe outside of Ireland.
I plan to take a month or more this summer/fall to visit the battlefiels of WWI and WWII especially Normandy along with a group tour of England, France, Italy.
I will be based in Ireland so the tours need not be back to back.
Ryan Air seems to have a greatfare for jimping around but I prefer a group when I get there.
I hope this makes sone sense.

Posted by: james whalen at April 3, 2004 11:14 PM

I will be based in Ireland so the tours need not be back to back.
I hope this makes sone sense.

Posted by: james whalen at April 3, 2004 11:14 PM

ryan air are the best low cost air line. You khave to LOOK at where they fly to. lots of provincial airports have benifited by the presence of ryan air. I use them to get to croatia on a regular basis. Fly to Graz airport, hire a car, it is still cheaper than flying direct to zagreb!!

Posted by: robert tucker at April 4, 2004 6:31 PM

Fly "Ryan Air" at your peril.

If all goes well, then fine.

If something goes wrong, your on your own.

I was booked on a flight from Barcelona, (Girona, which is no where near Barcelona) and the flight was cancelled. What were we advised, collect your luggage and be reallocated on a flight 2DAYS later. Hotel, my expense, meals, my expense. Luckily I had funds. Some others did not and roughed it at the airport.

This was the best they could do for the 190 passengers stranded.

Never, never again will I use them again

Posted by: Peter James at April 8, 2004 2:03 PM

easy jet sucks knobs

Posted by: easy basher at April 8, 2004 4:53 PM

Fly searching from Berlin to München
Berlin: may 15th
München: Juin 5th

Posted by: Burkhardt, Gisla at April 16, 2004 11:39 AM

Fly searching from Berlin to München
Berlin: may 15th
München: Juin 5th

Posted by: Burkhardt, Gisla at April 16, 2004 11:41 AM

First search for (Frankfurt)-Hahn was a nightmare, there are about 13 Hahn in Germany, a few in Fr. area,route planner was misleading, got lost in the country side, running out of gas, storage of mobil empty, stopped and questioned by the police because got to close to a cargo airport (near Hahn am See) and was only eight hours late.(My friend still waiting there,thanks dear!) I learned to prepare better and had a few good and cheap trips around Europe since then.Give it a chance.

Posted by: heike at April 25, 2004 10:53 AM

Ryan Air claim they have a low complaint rate.

That's because after making you hold for long minutes (charged at 10p/min) they hang up on you the second you utter 'would you refund at least the taxes'!!!

I used to think BA was the bad guys but I find myself flying with them more and more these days. At least they talk to their customers!

Posted by: NomoreRyanair at May 26, 2004 8:58 AM

Recently flown with ryan air into biarritz - confusion at checkin was compounded by a very long wait to get on flights as well as a lot of running around stanstead. a great many people seemed to be having trouble with tickets in the queues which slowed everything down a lot.

once onboard remember to pack a lunch box as its pretty expensive to eat on the plane. baggage was pretty quick and the flight was uneventful and confortable, no real complaints.

overall i think ryan air is a good airline and is pretty efficient although they suffer from the same problem as every cheap airline - lowest common denominator of brain cells in most passengers - cheap = cattle class = cattle and boy can they be dumb! so you can see what ryan air is up against. good point about travelling from airports though - hire a car and know where your going helps.

Posted by: douglas at July 30, 2004 2:28 AM

Posted by: douglas at July 30, 2004 2:28 AM

Bonjour, je trouve vos prix super intéressant. Il est cependant fort regretable que vous n'ayez pas une liaison Bruxelles-Sud vers Marseille. En effet, la côte d'Azur est très appréciée par les belges. Merci d'avoir pris connaissance de ce mail

Posted by: KLEPPER Agnès at August 4, 2004 4:29 AM

On June 24 2004, I flew on Ryan Air Flight FR728 from Stansted to Esbjerg in Denmark. The flight was delayed by two hours.
On said flight I purchased a pair of DKNY sunglasses from your in-flight magazine for, I believe, around 65 Euros. They have fallen apart and my optician won't touch them. How do I go about claiming a replacement? You may well be the wrong site for my problem, if so, will you, can you, please pass this on?
This is my second e-mail to Ryan Air, I've had no response to the first.
Sincerely E. Goodrich (Mrs)

Posted by: E Goodrich at August 8, 2004 3:58 AM

This is my second e-mail to Ryan Air, I've had no response to the first.
Sincerely E. Goodrich (Mrs)

Posted by: E Goodrich at August 8, 2004 3:58 AM

This is my second e-mail to Ryan Air, I've had no response to the first.
Sincerely E. Goodrich (Mrs)

Posted by: E Goodrich at August 8, 2004 3:59 AM

i took ryan air from london to hamburg.the so called cheap ticket cost me88 pounds plus 25pounds bus fare and i ended up in lubek a 60km from hamburg where as my freind was waiting for me in hamburg .most of peoples do not know these small air ports .now i know but i feel sorry for those who don't.and ryanair taking advatge and dictates their own rules

Posted by: ali aslany at August 11, 2004 12:49 AM

they advertise flights at 99p. Can you find one? NO. They probably do not exist and if they do it takes so long to find one that it would be quicker to swim or walk to your destination.

Posted by: hilary at August 11, 2004 4:15 AM

Looking at all the comments,its obvious that the people who are crtical of Ryanair are not experiencd travellers.You only get what you pay for and at RYANAIR prices ,one should not expect the same as other airlines who are much more expensive.Keep growing strong Ryanair,you are giving a lot of people a chance to see parts of the world they could otherwise never afford

Posted by: Stanley Baines at August 12, 2004 12:49 AM

Planning a booking from LGW to DUB, noticed that you can only check 1 bag which must weigh no more than 16 kilos, and that over weight is charged ay nearly 5 pounds per kilo. Is that correct, and has anyone had experience with overcharges or bagggage in general?.

Posted by: Richard at August 15, 2004 7:02 AM

I Think Ryan Air should be asshamed of the way they conduct business. Altough the irish are famous for being tight I wouldn't go so far as to call them con-artists until now. Booking systems are inCREDIBLY bad, telephone service likewise and although they offer these famous 99p flights Ive never seen them and I scrolled 2 years into the future - or so it seemed.

Give me any other aitline or agency and they'll agree more or less come up with something which is both a service and a reasonably good experience.

Ryan air looses your lugage, voids your tickets and send you pages of legal print with every ticket and Im sure thats how they do it.

At the end of the day - if you want to go somewhere withing the next 3 - 4 weeks and you want to get there in less than a day, choose any other airline.

They're cooking soop on rusten nails people, whens people going to notice???

Posted by: Anders at August 27, 2004 9:26 AM

HELP! Now I am scared. I am coming to Europe for the first time and am trotting around on ryan air. I am from San Francisco and unfamiliar with the obscure airports listed, but like others I assumed Barcelona meant Barcelona...Girona airport or not.
Can anyone tell me how far out these airports are from the supposed cities they serve?
London-Stansted
Paris-Beauvais
Roma-Ciampino

I already read about Girona:(....I can't believe it's a two hour bus ride from the city. I was under the impression that there was a train and it took 40 minutes.

I only spent about 110 euros on ALL of my flights. So instead of losing days and hassels etc. I'd rather find alternate transportation.

Any help would be so appreciated! Thank you,

Posted by: Tonellabella at September 4, 2004 8:18 AM

If you want cheap flights you have to put up with a certain amount of inconvenience.

Posted by: Hatrev at September 7, 2004 2:24 AM

HI, I have only flown once with Ryan air, but believe me, leaving from Bergamo is soooo much easier than leaving from Malpensa, and smaller and friendler. Anyone traveling around in a country doesn't need or want to get mixed up necessarily in city traffic!! Better the out of the way airports. I have already planned all kinds of future itineraries, by using Ryan air, Gemrman Airways (another cheap one) I could never find any interesting available fairs on VolareWeb, EasyJet, or Air Berlin. Personally, I am waiting till all the airlines publish their April schedules and will quickly reserve all the places I haven't been able to get good fares to before they are all booked up.

Posted by: Miulinoo at September 11, 2004 3:52 PM

I may have the ultimate (So far!)horror story about Ryan Air. Yesterday I had a flight booked from Girona to London to attend a trade fair. I was at the airport in plenty of time and I was complying with all the listed rules. Apparently not.

I am an Irish citizen living in Spain and have been for years. I have not been outside of the EU for some fifteen years and so do not carry a passport. I use my identity card instead. The card has a photo,k is issued by the Spanish government and is not given lightly. There is a check done on recipients that is not unlike a passport check.

The clerk refused this card as sufficient. They did not offer compensation nor did they explain how they could define the written rules - both in English and Spanish - diferently than was clearly stated. No member of their staff wore identifying identification and when asked for their details refused to divulge who they were.

Another chap who was also turned away for the same reason, asked for the Hoja de Reclamación - the official government complaint form, and refused. This is patently illegal unwer Spanish law. Posibly he received a copy later, but I do not know that for a fact.

I do know that checking began less than two hours before scheduled departure, that the equipment they used had a maximum capacity of 120 passengers and there were easily 150 people booking in at the airport.

I do know that they were putting on the most draconian baggage requirements possible, charging people for overweight for less than a half kilo over and when one person tried to pay his overweight in sterling was told that was unacceptable. There were no open money exchanges in the airport that I saw and the Ryan Air staff were not prepared to tell the poor fellow where there was one.

If anybody knows of a site or an address that would like to receive the correspondence I am about to have with Ryan Air, please send the addresses my way. If they are members of the mass media, even better.

Cheers

Frank

Posted by: Frank at September 12, 2004 4:01 AM

Cheers

Frank

Posted by: Frank at September 12, 2004 4:01 AM

there is a good bus line and they are not that bad....if this is your first time to europe than the eurail would have been a better choice but than why do the same old thing... you will do fine....and make sure that you are in all the correct lines!!!!!

when you fly with easy jet or ryanair you are reall saving some time ....3 to 5 hours travel compaired to 9 to 10 in many cases when going long distances...have fun...

Posted by: erizen at September 20, 2004 8:56 AM

Why do ryanair fly out of London/Stansted at 7.30 am /The first flight into the airport arrives at 7.45am.(from Dublin).I wanted to travel from Dublin to Santander on Dec 22/ back 7 Jan 05. I had 2 options
1)Option 1; Dub/Mad/San Return San/Mad/Dub cost is Euro 2285.00
2)Option 2 (Ryanair)Dub/Stan/San return San/Stan/Dub cost Euro 1000.00. I have saved 1200 euro (I Hope it was worth the risk)
This is the first time I am flying Ryanair and I hope its not my last.
Where is the Aerlingus flights direct from dublin to Santander (I would pay them Euro 1500.00 to save all the hassle of flying to Stansted)

Posted by: Anonymous at September 23, 2004 12:50 PM

I have flown Ryan air just for fun. It flies to places very cheap, and it is worth using if you want to experience a new place in the world. The airline also helps out in renting a car and hotel. It really is a good deal. Ryan air will tell you the city in which the airport is. I always look at a map to see where I am going. It might not be anything for new and scared travellors. I truly was impressed: it was clean. I did not find this to be the case with major US airplanes.

Posted by: LIa at September 25, 2004 8:27 AM

I use Ryan Air and Easy-jet all the time. Never had a major problem with either company other than short delays occassionally. Book online, get instant tickets - no waiting for them to be posted! (Just remember to take the print out with you). Check-in at least 40mins before flight, grab a coffee, get on plane! E-A-S-Y !! Get off plane, grab local train or cab (http://www.londonairconnections.com advance cab booking for London) get to destination. Ryan Air/Easy jet are Quick and Cheap - just pretend it's a bus service!!! Yes, you do have to check where you are going before you book - but do you get in a bus marked 'PARIS' or do you check where in PARIS it goes first! It's not scientific proceedure to book and certainly not difficult to find out where the airports are - do a web search!!! By the way, if you fly Ryan Air to Reus (Barcelona) take your kids to the Universal Mediterean (Water & Theme Park) before going to the city, it's a great day out. (Has a 4* Hotel too!) Grab a cab from the airport (About 15 Euros).

Posted by: stevie [TypeKey Profile Page] at October 12, 2004 1:09 AM