January 1, 2003

Bogus Window Seats

Category: Aviation

NWA 757: Expecting a window seat, this is what I got. Had the flight not been a merciful 45 minutes, I might have clawed a window of my own.

My guess is there is a structural reason for this blocked window, but why couldn't they put the lavatory here? Or the galley? There are actually 4 seats like this on the NWA 757, on both sides of rows 19 and 21. I suggest avoiding these rows if you dont like feeling as if you're in a submarine.

Posted by Nick at January 1, 2003 4:15 PM

Comments:

Wow. It's kind of misleading to call that a window seat! Next time I buy an airline ticket I'm checking the online diagram first -- I wouldn't want that to happen to me.

Posted by: Beth at January 2, 2003 3:17 PM

You should have ripped an image out of the airline's magazine (like from the travel section) and taped it up where the window should have been... :)

Posted by: James at January 27, 2003 4:59 PM

This sorta happened to me, except my seat did have a window, with a lovely view of the jet engine! It was on a NW DC-9, in the rear of the aircraft. The engine not only blocked the entire view out of the aircraft, but the constant droning/vibrating sound next to my head gave me a headache as I flew from Denver to Minneapolis (about a 2 1/2 hour flight). So the moral of the story is, if you are taking a flight on a DC-9, don't take the seats in the back!

Posted by: Jim at March 25, 2003 4:45 AM

looks like a nice spot for a curtain

Posted by: ed at April 16, 2003 2:26 PM

Perhaps reclining the chair would let you see out the window?

Posted by: m at December 20, 2003 8:25 PM

The only structural reason for it is price restructuring. The planes are designed with one window per row for optimal comfort. As you can see with this pic, it's an airline for the legless. Higher profits require less legroom for all.

Posted by: Kraeg at September 28, 2004 5:51 AM