October 4, 2006

The Tulsa Channels

Category: Urban Planning

thechannels.gifTake a look at this. I don't know anything about Tulsa, but this is one of the most well thought out urban renewal ideas I've seen in a while and to see it coming out of the bible belt is particularily impressive and encouraging. Who knows if it will actually get built, but the fact that it's gotten as much attention as it has is proof that a few good minds and a decent website can go a long way!

Posted by Nick at October 4, 2006 12:01 AM

Comments:

Hi Nick, thanks for the notice and your comments.

We are soon going to post
more details about the project on our website. In the meantime, let me know if you have any specific questions.

Rusty

Posted by: Rusty Patton at October 16, 2006 10:51 PM

This is ridiculous!

Posted by: Anonymous at October 21, 2006 3:37 PM

Yeah, it's really great! A few of Tulsa's wealty citizens want us to fund their pet project to the tune of more than 600 million. And today we just found out they purchased options on two large pieces of property a year ago even though they would have us believe they came up with this idea a few months ago. Yeah, right. They can keep their urban renewal ideas to themselves.

Posted by: Jeff at November 2, 2006 8:55 PM

Thank you for your comment about Tulsa's urban renewal. Although I live across the country now, Tulsa is my home town and I am looking forward to this. The development plan is called Vision 2025 (To find out more, go to http://www.vision2025.info/) and this plan is spurring even more development because of its potential for bringing young affluent people to the city. A San Francisco developer has been buying historic downtown buildings (http://www.batesline.com/archives/001932.html
), and others are buying downtown warehouses and converting them into apartments and condominiums.

Posted by: Elizabeth at November 4, 2006 6:16 AM

That's godawful. They want the city to spend half a billion dollars damming a river so they can build an island in the middle of it? They stay so intent on a "bold vision for the Tulsa region" that you suddenly forget the component where they make an extraordinary amount of money by killing a river. The terminology they use tries to convey an image of new urbanist boy scouts, earnestly jamming planning buzzwords into a real estate brochure.

Here's an alternative image: a clique of provincial fatcats gets the bright idea to start talking like civic-minded visionaries instead of bullies, and is trying to convince the public to spend hundreds of millions of dollars on real estate instead of education.

The video is classic, though. I kept expecting a female voice with lots of reverb to whisper "Tulsaaaaaaaa".

Posted by: DC at November 7, 2006 7:23 AM

Wow! Talk about forward thinking!

Posted by: Dave0 at November 8, 2006 7:41 PM

Hello!everybody,
I'm Horoad technologies co., in Shenzhen,China. I'm Horoad who have good industry reputation and extensive operation all around the world.
I'm specializes in on-street parking meters for single space or multi-space and other electronic products.
I have excellent R&D team and can develop best parking meters for you need.
Please come in:
www.horoad.com.cn

Please feel at home and ease to contact sunny jiang in marketing dep.. You are most welcome in horoad family.
Thank you!

Sunny Jiang

Fax:86-755-83266032
Phone:86-755-83209520
Mobile in around-clock service:86-755-13058091846
Email:horoad@126.com,postmaster@horoad.com.cn
Add:5/F , West of Building 401, Zhonglian Electronic Mansion, No.52 Zhenhua Road, Futian District, Shenzhen, China

Posted by: jlxzdb [TypeKey Profile Page] at November 9, 2006 7:28 PM

I lived in Tulsa for three years. Three long years. The people are great but "visionary" is not how I would describe the community leaders. The city is getting new blood. But until they wrestle power away from the old guard (read: people who made millions in oil and now are spending it) nothing much will change. I voted for the Vision 2025 when I lived there. But you'll notice I moved on. Good people there. Just not good business leadership.

Posted by: Chris Lengquist at February 13, 2007 11:37 AM