February 25, 2004

The Toilet/Sink Combo

Category: Design , Environment

briggs_toilet.jpg

Phoenix: Looking for ways to optimize water usage without setting up a costly greywater system? This fabulous toilet attachment not only flushes a super-low 1.5 gallon volume of water, but when it refills itself, it does so via a tap on top of the tank. You can therefore use the water twice by washing your hands in it before it fills the water talk. Posted by Nick at February 25, 2004 3:53 AM

Comments:

Brilliant idea, especially if cistern was detached from loo. It would also mean you were forced to at least turn the tap on before loo could be flushed.

Posted by: Geoff at February 26, 2004 3:59 PM

there are around 100 million of these loos in japan

Posted by: Anonymous at March 18, 2004 9:09 AM

I work as a plumber in Maine and have been looking for something like the briggs toilet above. anyone know where i can find that tankcover? you can most likeley use it for any standard toilet with a tank simillar to the one above, and i have had some people ask me about one just like it. our supplyer can not find it, and the toto models are only for Japan so they cost an arm and a leg to get them here. All I need is the cover above so if anyone can point me in the right direction, thanks a bunch. Brendan

Posted by: Brendan Owen at April 9, 2004 11:20 AM

Yes, where is the source? I would love to own one as well.
Luc

Posted by: Luc at May 7, 2004 5:21 AM

I've also been looking for one of these for years, since I saw one at the Seattle Youth Hostel I stayed at. I'm not sure how much I'd pay for one, but after 7 years or so of searching, the amount keeps going up.
Marc

Posted by: Marc L. at May 12, 2004 4:20 PM

I saw this toilet in Mother Earth News about small bathroom spaces. I have been looking for one ever since. Where can they be purchaed?
Or at least what company makes them?

Posted by: Laurie at May 26, 2004 10:20 AM

Just bought a farmhouse in Vermont that has an upstairs bothroom with only room for toilet and would love to know where to purchase this to solve problem of getting a since in there.

Posted by: len at June 5, 2004 6:43 AM

This type of toilet is BRILLIANT. I lived overseas in SE Asia for 7 years and we had one of these styles of toilets in an upstairs powder room. It was a much nicer design than the one above, too. The tank lid was actually recessed and acted as the lav bowl and the lid. I've been looking for one, too, but can't seem to find them in the US. I think it was a Toto fixture.

Posted by: Kerry at June 12, 2004 12:43 PM

I recall that I saw them several years ago in a solar energy products catalog called Real Goods. They have a website catalog, but it is not on there. I was going to ask them what brand it was.

Posted by: lauri at June 13, 2004 7:40 PM

I called Real Goods and they did in fact sell these in the U.S. for several years. They don't carry them anymore because the man who made them for them retired. They say they get calls for this water saving toilet sink about twice a month. They said they haven't been able to locate a U.S. manufacturer, so it is no longer in their catalog.

Posted by: lauri at July 3, 2004 10:28 PM

Well, I saw one this weekend that's at least 10-15 years old. The original company was called ConsCept Sales in Anaheim, CA. I've tried to track it down but the company appears to be out of business. If anyone finds a new supplier, let us all know!
-Neil

Posted by: Neil at August 9, 2004 6:31 PM

Researching the feasabilty of manufacturer and cost.........

Posted by: Terry at August 10, 2004 10:49 AM

If someone would only make this toilet/sink combination ... with a dual (divided) water storage tank under it ... each with it's own seperate flush lever ... in a low flush toilet.
One side to take the sink water with an additional greywater add-in connector (water flowcheck)...
the other side for the house potable water, in case there is insufficient greywater.
Also ... in the toilet tank itself (above the water line of the toilet ... but below the seat area ... a seperate channel to hook in (like the ventex toilet concept) ... to allow one to flush the laundry hot/soapy water ... to clear out the sewar line (which can clog up from low flush toilets). (And ... yes ... it really does happen).
It's unbelieveable the market that is out there for such a device ... if only the manufacturers would listen and make one.
Perhaps the talk about "water conservation" truly is only "all talk".
I'm sure there must be a ton of money available for R&D and development of such a device as this ... that would save so much on water ... including recycling.
If anyone from a company is interested ... I'd sure be glad to be their "try it out" guy.

Posted by: David at September 8, 2004 3:33 PM

We have one!!! We bought it about 15 years ago from a mail order catalog. Even the saved inserts, etc., don't give a phone or address. We also had a line (at that time) in Buffalo (yes, THAT Buffalo!) who was out of stock. So, our friends, who had just installed a smaller toilet and ourselves, ordered 2 -- one small and one medium. Now, we have a friend who needs one! We've had many inquiries over the years. Please help!!!! Thanks to whoever can supply.

Posted by: Tony & Kathy Trost at September 19, 2004 8:28 AM

I have one of these, looks exactly like the picture. Bought it from the Real Goods catalog about 10 years ago. My neighbor downstairs really wants one (we live in a old Lower East Side tenement in NYC, where space is tight and many bathrooms have NO sink).

Anyone know how much demand there is for this?

Posted by: Anonymous at September 21, 2004 3:10 PM