September 26, 2003

LimoLiner

Category: Transit

New York: There's a new way to travel between New York and Boston called 'LimoLiner'. For about the same price as a train ticket, LimoLiner is a bus featuring rather comfy looking seats and the big draw - internet access at your seat. It may be slower than Acela, but it's much cheaper and for constantly wired people, the internet access can make a big difference.

Posted by Nick at September 26, 2003 5:15 PM

Comments:

Looks a little too good to be true! I wonder how hard it will be to get reservations?

One of their claims: "You can stop worrying about dropped calls and dead spots. The [cell phone] reception is clear and constant." is a little puzzling. Are they talking about any cell phone service? How would they manage that--with cell phone towers mounted to the roof of the bus?

Posted by: Beth at September 27, 2003 2:40 AM

At $69 each way - I'm not really that impressed. A round trip flight costs around $130 (with a Saturday stay). The $15-$20 Chinatown shuttle isn't for everyone, of course, but one could probably drive there for about $20-$25 including gas and tolls - and you'd hope that a bus full of people would bring the cost down. Pay a bit for the convenience of not having to drive and your internet access, but a three hour ride full of people with guaranteed cellphone coverage sounds pretty awful to me.

Posted by: spencer at September 29, 2003 2:44 PM

Haha... you guys are probably right. I think the "internet access" thing got me carried away. I think I need an internet vacation...

Posted by: Nick at September 29, 2003 6:09 PM

I'd trade internet access and phone service any day for a cramped seat on a smelly bus showing a chinese movie about a prostitute. More on my chinatown bus experience.

Posted by: Andrew at October 16, 2003 10:41 PM

I am really inpressed with this vechicle! All leather seats...there is a cell phone tower located on the top of the bus...and there is an attendant who serves you food & drink. They do ask that your volume on the phones are turned off, so there isn't any loud disturbances traveling over. The price is cheap considering what you are getting...are you kidding me!! Better than fighting the crowds of people at the airport...and no hassel of security...I think that this is the new way of travel. I will happily choose this way of travel again!!!! My trip was about the same travel time as the acela...with no stops in between!!! MUCH BETTER SERVICE!!!!!

Posted by: Terry at October 27, 2003 1:38 PM

There actually is a cell phone tower on top of the bus?? Fantastic! If I can afford it, I'll definitely give it a try someday.

Posted by: Beth at November 2, 2003 1:32 PM

Seems more than pleasant. Took a long time to get out of manhattan, almost hour of heaving to and fro with a few wicked sudden stops. And those over polished leather seates meant you could easliy slip to the floor with a sudden stop. New foot rests will help. Four hours, a sandwich, two movies, cnn and a newspaper certainly makes this better than Penn Station or the airport. CBE

Posted by: Christopher Elliott at November 8, 2003 11:26 PM